Farro Salad With Beets, Beet Greens and Feta
- 2 medium or 3 small beets with greens, the beets roasted - greens stemmed and washed
- 1 cup farro, soaked for one hour in water to cover and drained (may substitute wheat berries)
- Salt -preferably kosher salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablepsoons garlic scapes OR 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup broken walnut pieces
- 2 ounces feta or goat cheese - crumbled
1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs (parsley, chives, mint)
(1) 1. Bring 2 quarts water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Fill a bowl with ice water. When the water comes to a boil, add salt to taste and the greens. Blanch for two minutes, and transfer to the ice water. Allow to cool for a few minutes, then drain and squeeze out excess water. Chop coarsely and set aside.
(2) Bring the water back to a boil, and add the farro. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer 45 minutes, stirring from time to time, or until the farro is tender. Remove from the heat and allow the grains to swell in the cooking water for 10 minutes, then drain.
(3) While the farro is cooking, make the vinaigrette. Whisk together the vinegars, salt, garlic and mustard. Whisk in the oil(s). Add to the farro. Peel and dice the beets and add, along with the beet greens, feta or goat cheese, herbs and walnuts. Toss together, and serve warm or room temperature with a little more cheese sprinkled over the top if you wish.