Cabbage Chickpeas with Tomatoes and Bulgur
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 medium head green or red cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 14-ounce can chopped tomatoes with juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar, cider vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups water
-1 cup coarse bulgur
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
(1) . Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large, heavy lidded skillet or Dutch oven. Add the onion, and cook, stirring often, until tender, about five minutes. Stir in a pinch of salt and the paprika. Cook, stirring, until the onion is thoroughly tender and infused with paprika, three to four minutes.
(2) Add the cabbage, and cook, stirring, for three minutes or until it begins to wilt. Stir in the tomatoes, sugar and vinegar, and add salt to taste. Bring to a simmer, lower the heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes until the cabbage is thoroughly tender.
(3) Stir in the dill, garlic and the water, and bring a to a boil. Add the bulgur and chickpeas. Stir to combine. When the water comes back to a boil, reduce the heat to low and cover. Simmer 10 minutes or until all of the water has been absorbed. Remove from the heat, taste and adjust seasonings, and serve hot or at room temperature.