1-¾ c. (2 sm.) diced yellow onion – reserve ½ c.
3-½ c. (2 lg.) peeled cucumber, diced – reserve 1 ½ c.
2 c. cooked fresh beets, diced – reserve 1 c. plus 1 c. beet juice
1-¼ c. diced green bell pepper – reserve ¼ c.
1-¼ c. diced red bell pepper – reserve ¼ c.
1 c. thinly diced zucchini - reserve
4 c. diced fresh tomato (unpeeled) – reserve 2 c.
3 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
3 tablespoons fresh dill
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, or to taste
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste (optional)
Sea salt to taste (optional)
1 c. buttermilk
1 c. plain yogurt
2 c. vegetable stock
1 c. cranberry juice – yes!
2-½ tablespoons raspberry vinegar
1. In a food processor or blender, combine beet juice, buttermilk, yogurt, cranberry juice, cayenne, garlic, vinegar, dill, lemon juice and salt. Buzz until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl or pan.
2. In small batches, blend all but reserved ingredients in blender, adding vegetable
stock, to just barely smooth.
3. Add blended ingredients to the soup mixture and stir well.
4. Add all of the reserved veggies and stir well.
5. Chill thoroughly (4 hours) before serving. Garnish with parsley or a dollop of
sour cream or other dairy choice and a sprig of dill.
Note: 1 can (20 oz) whole beets w/liquid can be substituted for fresh beets but
fresh is better!
Can also add more diced tomatoes and cucumbers if desired after the
soup is completed or any other diced vegetable or maybe peas?