Leek Potato and Sweet Pepper Tart
- 1 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold, unsalted butter, diced
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 leeks both white and green parts
- 1 Roasted Sweet Bell Peppers
- 2 Tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1 and 1/2 pounds of Gold potatoes, sliced thin, blotted with butter (may substitute olive oil)
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- garnish: fresh thyme sprigs and leaves
- OPTIONAL: chevre or feta goat cheese
(1) Make Tart Dough (or purchase one) In bowl of food processor, combine the flour, pepper, salt and unsalted butter. Pulse until dough resembles coarse crumbs. Add sour cream and pulse until dough forms a ball. Remove from bowl. With floured hands, roll into a disc. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour.
(2) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
(3) On a lightly floured surface, roll chilled dough into a 14 inch circle. Place dough in deep 11 inch, fluted tart pan. Trim excess dough from edges. Line dough with cooking parchment. Top with pie weights. Bake for 40 minutes or until crust is lightly browned. Remove from oven. Cool completely on a wire rack. Remove weights and parchment.
(4) Raise oven temperature to 425 degrees F.
(5) Once the oven is preheated, brush sweet red peppers with olive oil, then roast in oven, turning, until charred. Scrape off charred parts. Slice into thein slices.
(6) Meanwhile, oven is preheating and before roasting peppers, in a skillet, melt 2 Tablespoons butter. Add washed and sliced leek, and fresh thyme. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally until leek is tender. 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
(7) Starting at sides of tart pan, arrange 1/3 of the potato slices in overlapping concentric circles, alternating with your roasted pepper slices, covering bottom of the crust. Then sprinkle a layer of chevre/feta cheese. Press gently to compress. Sprinkle evenly with 1/2 teaspoon salt, a little pepper and 1/3 of the leek mixture. Dot with 1 Tablespoon butter. Repeat layers 2 more times, ending with the potatoes/peppers. Coat a large piece of aluminum foil with 1 Tablespoon butter. Cover tart tightly with the foil, buttered side down. Place a small cast iron skillet on top of the foil to weight it down, being careful not to crush the sides of the crust. Place in oven. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.
(8) Let stand for 15 minutes