Garden Stuffed Peppers
- 4 small green or red bell peppers
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup of fresh Basil – finely chopped
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup of chicken or veggie broth
- 3 tomatoes diced
- 1/2 pound summer squash, diced (use a mixture of zucchini and yellow squash such as patty pan)
- 1 cup fresh corn removed from cob
- 1/3 cup basmati rice, precooked
- 1/4 cup red lentils, soaked overnight
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 2 chili peppers, minced
- bread crumbs
1. Cut peppers in half lengthwise. Core and scrape out seeds.
2. In saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat; fry onion and garlic until onion is slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add corn, summer squash, chilies, and pinch each of the salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until liquid is evaporated, about 6 minutes.
3. Add rice, lentils and 1/2 cup chicken/veggie broth; bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until rice and lentils are tender and mixture is wet but not saucy, about 10 minutes. Scrape into bowl and let cool slightly
4. Toss cheese, all but 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the parsley, tomatoes and basil with rice mixture. Spoon mixture into peppers; drizzle with remaining oil and top with bread crumbs. Sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper.
5. Cover with foil; bake in 350°F (180°C) oven until peppers are almost tender, about 1 hour. Uncover; bake until tops are crusty, about 30 minutes. (NOTE: Sprinkle with remaining parsley, breadcrumbs and a little cheese if desired when peppers are uncovered).