Bratwurst and Cabbage cooked in Beer
· 4 links of fresh bratwurst
· 1 - 12 oz cans of beer – lager works well
· 4 ounces bacon, chopped
· 1.5 lb potatoes – cut in large chunks
· 1 cups julienned onions
· 1 cup sliced carrots
· 1 small head of cabbage (2.5 lbs), cored and shredded
· Salt – 1 tsp or more to taste
· Freshly ground black pepper – 1 tsp
· 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1/4 cup prepared mustard –
1. Cook the sausage and bacon in a heavy bottom stock until brown but do not overcook (approximately 10 minutes). Remove both and set aside but leave the fat in the stock pot.
2. Saute the onions, potatoes, carrots and garlic over medium heat in the stock pot about 10 minutes. Add the shredded cabbage, mustard, beer, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium low and cook covered for 5 minutes to wilt cabbage.
3. Slice sausage in 1 inch pieces. Return sausage and bacon to pot and mix into vegetables. Continue cooking for another 10 minutes and serve with a hearty bread so you will be able to sop up the wonderful broth!