- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste mixed with 1/2 cup water
- 4 cups freshly cooked or canned chickpeas, well rinsed and drained ( 2 16
- 16 cups (about 2 - 3/4 pound bunches)
finely shredded Swiss chard leaves
1. Heat the oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add
the onion and cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes. Mix in the garlic and
crushed pepper flakes and sauté 5 minutes, or until the onion is tender.
2 Add the stock, tomato paste mixture, and chickpeas and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat to a lively simmer and cook 10 minutes. Stir in the Swiss
chard and salt and simmer 10 minutes.
3. Remove 2 cups of the soup and puree it in a blender or food processor.
Return it to the pot.